Friday, August 1, 2008

Chickpea and Vegetable Curry

My husband loves curry so this is what I make him instead of beef/chicken curry. Once I cooked it too long however and he mentioned that it reminded him of baby food! (don't let it simmer on the stove too long or it will taste like mush) He still ate it, and I'll still make it again. It tastes really good when the vegetables are tender/firm. I might leave out the sweet potato next time. That is what reminds him most of baby food.


2 C vegetable broth
1 large vidalia onion
1 T shredded ginger root
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t fennel seed
2 t curry powder
1 C coconut milk
14 oz canned garbanzo beans
3 medium zucchini chopped into 1" squares
1 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
1 C green beans
1 C broccoli

1. Heat broth in a large heavy-based pann and cook the onion over medium heat for about 10 minutes until soft. Add geinger, garlic, fennel seeds, curry powder. Cook stirring for 2 minutes until combined.
2. Stir in the coconut milk, chickpeas, zucchini, sweet potato and broccoli florets and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes (not too long or vegetalbes will get to mushy!) until vegetables are tender but slightly firm.
3. Preheat oven to 350. Spread shredded coconunt on a large baking tray and toast in oven for a few minutes until lightly golden. Serve over curry as a garnish.

I serve this over brown rice.


This original recipe came from a cookbook I bought at Borders on sale. I tweaked it slightly. You can do the same. Add whatever vegetables are on sale or that you like best.

No comments: