Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Spanish Rice

This is how they do rice in Chili, cooking it in oil, onion and garlic makes it taste so yummy. My kids loved it. If my kids will eat what I make it reinforces my eating habits, but it is tough when they refuse to eat it. Last night we ate this Spanish Rice recipe with green beans from Trader Joes as a side. My oldest ate it all. For a drink I made the Green smoothie and they loved it. Yeah! My bananas were really ripe when I froze them so I think that made the smoothie taste sweeter. I felt successful last night. :)

2 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped fine
1 garlic clove, minced
2 C brown rice
4 C vegetable broth
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 t salt
pinch of oregano

(optional: add 1 can black beans drained for extra protien)

1. In a large skillet brown rice in olive oil, medium/high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook onion rice mixture, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes, or until onions are soft.

2. In a separate sauce pan bring stock to a simmer. Add tomatoes, oregano, and salt. Add rice to broth. Bring to a simmer. Cover. Lower heat and cook for 25 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for 10 minutes.

1 comment:

Suzie Soda said...

Sounds pretty good....good for you. suz